Moving to Wayne
- Median Home Price – $725,000
- Median Rent – $1,457
- Median Income – $51,635
Moving to the Chicago area soon? Probably looking for a beautiful neighborhood or suburb to call home?
Look no further!
In this blog we will share with you what the village of Wayne has to offer and what it is like living in Wayne.
Hopefully, you will love it as much as we do, and become the new resident of Wayne.
Here is some information about Wayne and its history – Enjoy!
Wayne is a village in DuPage and Kane counties, IL.
The eastern portion, in DuPage County, is in Wayne Township,
while the western portion, in Kane County, is in St. Charles Township with the population of around 2,477 residents.
- Wayne was founded in the 1800s at the same time as the similarly named Wayne Center.
- Wayne Center was located on Army Trail Road at Dupage River crossing and no longer exists.
- In the late 19th and early 20th century, Wayne was a prominent center of horse breeding and farming research.
- The community was known for breeding French Percheron horses, a draught horse similar to a Clydesdale.
- Wayne was incorporated in 1958.
- Previously, the community was administered as a private association called the “Wayne Community Association” with voluntary contributions funding village services including police.
- Since World War II, Wayne has grown steadily, adding subdivisions near Illinois Route 59.
- A growing number of residents have home-based businesses or home offices.
💡 Did you know?
Wayne was originally named Wayne Station and was named after Anthony Wayne.
What does Wayne have to offer?
You must be asking yourself what it would look like living in Wayne, and we will show you a little bit better its best features, and why people love living in Wayne and never want to leave:
Wayne Township is in DuPage County and is one of the best places to live in Illinois.
Living in Wayne Township offers residents a sparse suburban feel and most residents own their homes. In Wayne Township there are a lot of parks.
Many young professionals live in Wayne Township.
The public schools in Wayne Township are highly rated.
The village is served by St. Charles District 303 in its south and west portions and by Elgin Area School District U-46 in its central, north, and east portions.
U-46 serves an area of some 90 square miles in Cook, DuPage and Kane Counties.
Almost 40,000 children of school age are in its area.
U-46 is the second largest school district in Illinois.
Wayne has its own elementary school, Wayne Elementary, part of U-46, serving 600 children in grades K-6 from Wayne and surrounding communities
💡 Did you know?
Marguerite Henry, author was born in Wayne, IL as well as Joy Morton, founder of Morton Salt and president of Dunham Woods in the 1930s.
Famous Wayne Landmarks
Oaklawn Farm and Dunham Castle
At the height of the Percheron business, Dunham built a house, now called Dunham Castle, near the farm.
- The Dunhams-based the idea for the design of their new home on that of French chateaux.
- In 1953 it was converted into four spacious apartments.
- In 1976, the Castle was sold to the Griffins family.
- The castle has been rarely open to public tours, and for charity fundraisers. The house is now privately owned.
- The original Dunham home evolved into an inn and sales pavilion for the Dunham family’s Oaklawn Farm.
- Oaklawn Farm ceased operation as a commercial enterprise.
- The offices of Dunham’s farm, then popularly known as the “Inn”, are well-preserved, now home to Wayne’s only dining establishment and social club, the Dunham Woods Riding Club.
💡 Did you know?
The Village of Wayne is committed to preserving its equestrian nature and reputation. The village has miles of equestrian paths, as well as dozens of horse farms, riding centers, and boarding stables.
Dunham Woods Riding Club
- The Dunham Woods Riding Club was founded in 1934 by a group of Wayne and Geneva residents who leased the original Dunham family home.
- A fire destroyed the original old coach house in 1950 and the proceeds of the insurance were utilized by the club to purchase the Inn, the Lower Barn, swimming pool, tennis courts, and surrounding land.
- Additional land was purchased in 1975, which included the outdoor riding rings, indoor riding ring, outside cross-country course, tenant house, and new pole barn all of which are leased to the Hunt by the Club.
- In 1979, the four corners comprising the intersection of Army Trail and Dunham Roads, The Dunham Woods Riding Club and Dunham Castle, together with the additional surrounding land and outbuildings were accepted into the National Register of Historic Places.
💡 Did you know?
The Dunham Woods Riding Club is an active social and tennis club, with three dining rooms, two private rooms, a terrace, and a patio. The club hosts a variety of social events and private parties and is open February through December. Club members are primarily Wayne residents, as well as residents from neighboring communities such as St. Charles and Geneva.
Residents and guests celebrate Wayne Day around the first Saturday in October each year in the fields west of the Dunham Club with a kite flying, picnic, and evening bonfire.
Residents and guests celebrate Flag Day in June each year with a parade and picnic on the Sunday nearest June 14. This parade often features more participants than spectators.The parade begins at the General Store near Railroad Street at Army Trail Road and is open to all.
Looking for movers in Wayne?
If you are looking for movers in Wayne, look no further. We have served the residents of Wayne since the moment we opened for business. We know Chicago suburbs and neighborhoods like the back of our hand.
We provide professional, reliable and affordable service. We are a moving company with years of experience and with highly trained movers that will make your move easy and stressless. We provide a range of services to choose from — and we will handle everything from start to finish.
Moving to Wayne? Give us a call today to get a free quote and talk with our sales representatives who will find the best option for your particular moving situation.
Or visit our website : Legit Movers Chicago Talk to you soon!